ABOUT THE MINISTRY
The mission of our student ministry is to glorify God by leading youth to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and by developing youth to be mature disciples of Jesus. Our primary goal is to create opportunities and an environment for students to develop their own faith as well as grow and mature through the work of the Holy Spirit. We intentionally seek to accomplish this by:
- Being a trusted resource to parents in helping them in their calling to be the primary disciplers of their youth
- Meeting the students where they are at through building relationships and benchmarking:
- If they have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior
- Spiritual/earthly/intellectual maturity
- Life circumstances spiritual/earthly
- Gifting’s spiritual/earthly
- Teaching/ modeling Biblical truths/principles/literacy
- Fostering/developing/modeling worship/prayer life
- Teaching/modeling/encouraging/promoting discipleship and kingdom work
- Encouraging critical/independent thinking
Friday Nights – All Students: Students, both middle school (MS) and high school (HS), gather each week on Friday evenings for youth group (YG)! While we do play games and have fun, the intention of this time is to break down barriers and make students feel welcome and comfortable while at the same time getting to know them. We spend the majority of our time teaching the Bible, in small group discussion/ reflection, worship in song, and prayer. Click on the Email icon below to contact HCC with your questions, the schedule is detailed further below on this page.
Sunday Mornings – All Students: Students in the youth program are encouraged to attend adult Discipleship classes on Sunday morning at 9 AM with their family.
Friday Evenings – Weekly Girl’s Group: Starting Friday 9/17/21, Elizabeth Harrah (who is a deacon at HCC and has been involved in our church as well as youth program for over 5 years), along with Rosalia Grillo (one of our high school senior students!), will be leading a study on Elisabeth Elliot’s book “Passion and Purity”. It will meet every Friday from 5:30PM – 7:00PM before youth group in the upstairs prayer room. Dinner will be provided. Books will be provided.
- Parents: Discussions will focus primarily on our personal relationship with the Lord and how that shapes our character and identity and helps us develop healthy relationships with others (including future dating relationships). Our conversations will be guided by Scripture. Please feel free to look up the book and review its table of contents to see if this is something you are comfortable having your daughter participate in.
- RSVP to Elizabeth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-652-2039. (Please indicate any food allergies).
- If you have any questions related to this study, please send them to Elizabeth and copy me on the emails.
YOUTH MINISTRY RESOURCES
Click on the below link to check out some of the resources we recommend for our youth and their parents.
Youth Group -Weekly Schedule – Friday’s @ 7 PM
Friday Night Youth Group Schedule:
- Parent Drop Off: 7:00 PM
- Start Time/Game Time/ Snack Time: 7:00 PM – 7:40 PM
- Worship in Song: 7:45 PM – 7:55 PM
- Bible Study/Discussion: 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM (MS and HS together)
- Pre Study Questions (get students minds thinking and talking about the content of the Scripture passage)
- Individual Study (students go through the passage using a Bible study methodology – make observations & ask questions)
- Expository Teaching (passage is taught through while answering students questions along the way)
- Small Groups Reflection (~3 per group w/adult leader) – Discussion/Prayer
- End of Program – Parent Pick Up – 9:15 PM
- “Afters” Hangout Time (OPTIONAL both HS & MS): 9:15 PM – 10:15 PM
- During this time our Student Leader team prepares a group activity for our students (sometimes it’s just hanging out and talking, other times we will play a game, and other times we will have an extended time of worship in song or discussion)
- The goal here is to give students a time to get to know one another and build peer to peer relationships
This fall/winter our study at YG will be in conjunction with the churchwide Old Testament survey sermon series (based on the CASKET Bible study material).
- There is a “study guide” that goes along with this survey which we have purchased on behalf of every student – they can pick it up at youth group
- The study guide involves reading passages of Scripture (just about 5 a week on average, a chapter each in length) as well as answering a handful of brief open response questions
- While it’s not required to attend youth group and you will still be able to benefit from the teaching, we would encourage students to read the Bible passages and answer the questions throughout the week
- We will be beginning this study on Friday 9/24 (its 18 sessions)
- We would desire students to complete the “optional but encouraged homework” AFTER the Sunday sermon and BEFORE Friday night youth group
- Example: Week 1
- Sunday 9/19 – Sermon on Week 1 (One Redemptive Story)
- Monday 9/20 – Friday 9/24 – Individual Study Guide completed on Week 1 (One Redemptive Story)
- Friday 9/24 – Youth Group Lesson on Week 1 (One Redemptive Story)
- If you are interested there are other materials you can purchase to go along with the study guide that we will be providing either through our church or on their website that I’ve linked HERE
COVID-19 – Youth Group Update/ Procedures
We will be operating at youth group in accordance with the updated church wide policy . You can refer to “The Worship Service Registration Page” for the baseline guidelines followed by the church across all events.